Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Can't


Yeah, fake nostalgia can be a real pain in the ass. I can't help it though, its awesome. A few months ago I was really stoned listening to records with my friend Mason. He was showing me his usual assortment of new obscure noise records that rip your face off-Sissy Spacek, Contagious Orgasm, Prurient. I was looking through his stuff and a CD caught my eye. It was an album of "covers" by Can't. Can't is Jessica Rylan- a female noise artist from the east coast. What I had heard from her in the past was pretty good, but nothing too spectacular. This one seemed cool though. It had a school picture of a girl in the mid to late '80s on the cover, and the liner notes were a real love note. I got chills. It seemed so personal and voyeuristic.  The "covers" on the album were all songs like Pat Benatar's "We Belong" and Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy"- you know, stuff that this girl would actually being listening to in her room-and they were the actual songs, just distorted and warped like an old cassette. Needless to say I'm working on a time machine to teleport myself back to her room and love her.

No comments: